Saturday, March 15, 2008

Big 12 at its best

This afternoon I was able to go to the Big Twelve Championship Tournament in Kansas City. It was a blast. I will have to admit I am not the biggest basketball fan. Actually 11 months a year I don’t like it at all. 12 months a year I pretty much can’t stand the NBA, but because of my wrestling days I have a soft spot for anything with a bracket.

I had so much fun watching the two games that I was able to see. First I saw Texas take out Oklahoma State. Then I got to see Oklahoma beat Colorado.

Here are the coolest things about the day:

1. The “Fan of the Day” award goes to the 10 months old kid sitting next to me. I didn’t see anyone else puke 6 times during the course of the first game and not even get up out of their seat. Dedication! It might also be noted that he was a Sooners fan so he might not of even known he puked on himself.

2. I don’t really know why but there was something cool about seeing red, blue, orange, black, and purple clad fans erupt cheering for OK State to knock off Texas. You don’t get someone decked out in all purple pulling with everything they have for a black and orange team anywhere else.

3. The tournament was at the Sprint Center. This facility has to be the best arena in the country. It is brand new so of course it gets cool points just for being new. BUT beyond being new it still is a get place to visit.

4. The Colorado Buffs fan that was sitting next to me was AWESOME. He was 45ish and probably a doctor. A couple times he yelled something like “Lets Go Buffs.” For a minute I thought he yelled “Let Go Buff” right when I started to take my cloths off I realized my mistake. For real though he had the scream of a 6th grade boy before gravity hit.

5. I got to talk to my beautiful girlfriend!!

Questions About College Basketball:

**Are they called “Sooners” because they leave tournaments sooner rather than later?
(I’ve been waiting all day to say that to someone!)

** How do you fall down playing basketball? And how is THAT a foul? I think they should bring fist fighting into basketball much like the NHL.

**Why are there so many rules? Put the ball in the basket and you get two points. Put it in from back here and you get three points. Simple…right? There are too many “violations” for this sport to be cool.

** Speaking being cool. How come basketball is the only sport where you try to look cool during the game? I’m not talking about wristbands and towels that supposedly make football and basketball player look cool and hip. I’m talking about dribbling between your legs or wearing your already huge shorts below your butt. Did you sprain an ankle and if not why are you limping?

It was a good day and I had a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These blogs may be the best thing going on the internets...

Caseyallen said...

Thats why you're the coolest person I know!