Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Me, You, and Uncle Sam

I don’t hate paying my taxes. Well, maybe that’s not completely true, but I don’t have a problem paying my fair share of what it takes to run this country.

Here is the pluming of this blog; 50% frustration, 40% ignorance, 10% so I don’t kick someone in the teeth.

With that said let me first say that I am not anti-American, I have already done my taxes for this year, and my taxes might be the only thing I’ve never paid late.

Where does my tax money go?

Can anyone tell me?


And please save the streets and parks speech.

I believe that a large part of our government is made up of crooked, maybe even evil, people. This makes it hard to swallow when I see these people making new taxes and then me paying them without so much as a kiss in return.

I was lucky enough to get a performance bonus from my work this year. The month that I received it I was taxed $2400 with 59% of the bonus taken out in taxes. This made me feel as if I was just hit in the place having to do with my Y chromosome.

Today I went and had my taxes done. I worked in Kansas 2/3rds of the year, but lived in Missouri all year. This means technically that I took Kansas’ money and spent it in Missouri. For that Missouri gave me a tax credit and still somehow this is the first year I’ve ever had to pay state tax at the end of the year.No one can tell me how much of a credit I received or how they got to the $50 figure that I owe them.

The best I can figure I paid about $13,835 in tax last year. I don’t have any clue where it went. I wonder how much of it was spent on "Congressional Earmarks".

Fiscal year -- # of earmarks -- $$$
2008 -- 11,780 -- $18.3 billion
2007 -- 10,000 -- 10.4 billion
For those who might of miss read that, it says billion…with a B.

For my 2 cents, or $13,835, I think if we operated under a Fair Tax system we would have a better handle on where our money is going and who is paying taxes. And an added benefit would be that people like Eliot Spitzer who spend $4800 per visit from a prostitute would be paying tax on that money. And people who buy and sell drugs like the, 14 members of congress that have been arrested on drug-related charges, would pay taxes on that money.

As I understand it you would be taxed as you spend your money. Point of sales taxes would go up a lot. We would not be taxed when we get paid money and when we spend money and when we buy something that requires us to pay Personal Property Tax.

Happy Tax Season!!

And yes I feel better.

4 comments:

Steveo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steveo said...

I don't care who you are that's funny.

Anonymous said...

Romans 13

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Caseyallen said...

Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.